a hat for kacie

I am well aware of the fact that I can get stuck in ruts. Knitting, in particular, holds one definite trap for me: baby hats. I know how to knit one kind of baby hat, and I knit the same pattern over and over, with slight variations in details like color and yarn choice. But, basically, it's always the same thing. As I've stated on this blog before, if you have a baby and you know me, it's altogether possible that you too will eventually end up with one of these hats. I just don't need dozens of miniature hats all for myself, as tempting and lovely as that may sound.

You'd probably guess that this post is some grand announcement that I've broken out of my hat rut and tried a brand new, glorious pattern. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but that's actually not the case. The hat that you see above is none other than the same pattern I've followed for years. It's bigger in size than the newborn versions I typically knit, but it's the same pattern nonetheless. However, I did proudly add one unique detail this time...a yo yo. Yes, that's what the fancy little flower-like, fabric embellishment is called. These were very popular in the 30s and 40s when they would be sewn end to end to create large yo yo bedspreads. Personally, I find them slightly more charming in moderation, so one single yo yo, dolled up with a button and a bit of felt seemed just the thing to give my knitted hats a touch of new life.

So, there you have it...a sweet little hat for a sweet little cousin named Kacie, who will undoubtedly look adorable in a yo yo hat, despite the fact that her big cousin Heather can still only knit one type of hat. I'm guessing that she won't mind a bit. 2-year-olds seem to be rather forgiving.

Comments

This comment has been removed by the author.
"You'd probably guess that this post is some grand announcement that I've broken out of my hat rut and tried a brand new, glorious pattern. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but that's actually not the case. "

I laughed out loud to this. I love you for being honest about this. While experimenting and trying new techniques can be a good thing, to do that all the time would prevent you from getting better at any one thing. I sometimes find myself jumping from one idea to the next, instead of just practicing what I know for a while. I like having guidelines in the midst of my experimenting. And to be honest, if I decided to do pencil portraits all the time, I would be having the same kind of fun as you seem to be having with your baby hats.

For posting this you are now my hero for the week.

:)
Mandi said…
i really like the yo-yo! i need you to teach me how to knit a hat and make a yo-yo like this :) the hat is adorable!

Popular Posts