Wednesday, July 05, 2006

i is for insects

Okay.... so, anyone who knows me knows that insects and bugs of any sort would be hard-pressed to find their way onto any list of things that I enjoy, let alone things that inspire me. And yet, here they are. It all began just a month or so ago, while on a walk. Dan and I had already stumbled upon some interesting finds, including a little green Candy Land man and an oscilloscope (which I learned is used to measure waves and frequency), when we came to a beautiful striped beetle. Dan tapped it with his sandal and it flipped over, playing dead. I felt kinda bad for the little guy, so I tried to upright him (surprising Dan…and possibly myself…that I would actually touch it). It wasn’t long before we were on our way, but the beetle must have impressed itself upon my memory. Later that evening I found myself plopped down on the couch, sketching away with The Gardener’s Bug Book in my lap. Sketches of bugs turned to drawings of bug-inspired characters. And I realized, in that moment, that I was actually inspired by insects.

6 comments:

Rach said...

Hehe they are adorable. I love the antennae inspired hat and of course polka dots are always a classic! :)

Anonymous said...

An oscilloscope huh? Who in their right mind would throw away such a wonderful instrument such as this? I must say, you righting that beetle was an adventurous move.
But when a theme is evident it would be wise of us to take notice.
Insects have such a gossamer and elegant appeal sometimes, that is if (and only if) you can resist that reaction of disgust that flows so quickly and easily.

lindsey said...

So apparently there are lots and LOTS of weird insects in North Carolina. Perhaps that is because it is the south? Your insects are WAYYY cuter than the ones I saw there. I is also for ice cream and igloos!

A.G. Lewis said...

While on a walk on some railroad tracks, Alyssa and i spotted some bright green bugs. Flies of sorts in fact. I never thought i would be impressed by a fly but my eyes had a sense of wonder. It's amazing what can open you to a world you've never noticed.

Congradulations on actually touching a bug.

daydreamer said...

Heather i love this picture. you are sooooo creative!!!! :)

WarrinerDaD said...

An oscilloscope huh? Who in their right mind would throw away such a wonderful instrument such as this? I must say, you righting that beetle was an adventurous move.
But when a theme is evident it would be wise of us to take notice.
Insects have such a gossamer and elegant appeal sometimes, that is if (and only if) you can resist that reaction of disgust that flows so quickly and easily.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...