autumn alphabet: m is for maze (& maize)

I'm not good at corn mazes. This probably stems from the fact that I am rather directionally-challenged and usually can't tell east from west. Nonetheless, this fun, Fall phenomenon always stirs up a sense of curiosity in me. It boggles my mind how maze-creators do what they do. Arial shots of these mazes reveal the images and words formed by the winding paths and just give me an even deeper admiration for the farm owners who carefully plan these intricate labyrinths.

I suppose there is also a thrill in being temporarily lost in a field of corn, finding one's way to the end, and feeling a sense of victory for the accomplishment. But, it usually takes me hours to find my way out, and this doesn't always feel victorious. So, I tend to focus on the creativity of the whole experience instead. I guess that's what happens when you set a right-brained artist loose in a meandering maze requiring logic and directional skill.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You and your corn!

We did have fun in the corn maze in Canada, didn't we? There was also that corn maze we did with Mandi, Erica and Scott. Good fun!
Rach said…
Corn mazes seem daunting to me. I try to stay away. But I'm glad you enjoy them! :)

Popular Posts